Pork Gammon is a family favorite, especially around holiday times. However, don’t limit yourself to only enjoying this delicious meal once a year. Now you can order it all year round from our online butchery! Additionally, you can have it delivered straight to your doorstep. No extra fuss or hassle. You deserve it!
What is Pork Gammon?
Gammon is the name given to the meat from the hind legs of a pig that has been cured in the same way as bacon.
Honey and Pineapple Gammon
- 1 Gammon
- 1 tablespoon whole garlic cloves, optional
- Two cans sliced pineapple (NOT crushed)
- 20 cherries
- 2 cups honey
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- Let gammon defrost and sit in the room until it reaches room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Use a sharp paring knife to score through the fat in a diagonal crosshatch pattern without cutting through to the meat. Put the ham, flat-side down, on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert the cloves into the gammon at the intersections of your crosshatch cuts.
- Drain the pineapples, reserving the juice. Arrange the sliced pineapple all over the ham, securing with toothpicks. Add a cherry to the center of each pineapple slice and secure with a toothpick.
- Pour 1/4 inch water in the bottom of the pan and tent the ham with foil.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the gammon (avoiding bone) registers 55 degrees C, about 2 hours 30 minutes (or about 15 minutes per 450g).
- Meanwhile, combine the honey, brown sugar and reserved pineapple juice in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, syrupy, and reduced to about 3 cups, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 210 degrees C.
- Uncover the pan and carefully brush a third of the glaze all over the ham. If the water in the roasting pan has evaporated, add more. Bake the ham for 15 minutes more. Brush with another third of the glaze and bake for 15 minutes more. Brush the remaining glaze over the ham and cook until the glaze is shiny and the skin is dark golden brown and crispy, about 15 minutes more. Let rest for 15 minutes.
Recipe adjusted from Food Network
We have a whole range of meat products to suit everyone’s taste buds! View our extensive range of meat online. We deliver to Johannesburg, Pretoria, and Emahlahleni every week. Want to keep up to date about our latest specials? Join us over on Facebook where we’re always sharing the best deals!